[squeak-dev] Re: [Pharo-project] Epoch returns local offset

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Thu May 17 23:01:11 UTC 2012

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 10:42 AM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de>wrote:

> On 17.05.2012, at 19:29, Eliot Miranda wrote:
>
> What is ambiguous about the start of the 20-th century in GMT?
>

> Nothing. But Smalltalk epoch was not defined in GMT. It's local time.

I'm not sure I buy that.   Looking at Smalltalk-80 v2 the California
timezone was hardwired in.  So I think the epoch was in GMT and e.g. Time
currentSeconds: #seconds answered the number of seconds from the GMT epoch.
 certainly that's what the Cog VMs answer.  But there's nothing to stop us
firming up the definition.  1970 is a pretty arbitrary choice of epoch.
 The start of the 20th century has a certain elegance.  Even Microsoft have
a nice epoch (the start of the gregorian calendar IIRC).  Why slavishly
follow unix when we have something distinctive and hard-wired into the VMs?
 Why not just define the Smalltalk epoch properly?

--
best,
Eliot