[squeak-dev] The Trunk: Monticello-bf.509.mcz

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu May 31 10:29:40 UTC 2012

(Chris Muller needed below ...)

On 31.05.2012, at 08:04, Chris Cunningham wrote:

> On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 3:07 AM,  <commits at source.squeak.org> wrote:
>> Bert Freudenberg uploaded a new version of Monticello to project The Trunk:
>> http://source.squeak.org/trunk/Monticello-bf.509.mcz

>> Name: Monticello-bf.509
>> Author: bf
>> Time: 29 May 2012, 12:06:58.832 pm
>> UUID: 02bc3aaf-6de3-4b06-8264-852ba776aeb4
>> Ancestors: Monticello-bf.508
>>
>> Allow to specify branch name in MCFileBasedRepository>>versionNamesForPackageNamed:
>>
>> =============== Diff against Monticello-bf.508 ===============
>
> Bert, there is a problem with this change.  If you open the repository
> up, there is NO selected package,

Works for me, the same as before. Try reverting this method and see for yourself.

> and this method fails if the packageName is nil.

Ah, you're right.

>  A simple fix (not claiming best) is to guard
> against this situation (method attached).

Thanks. I fixed the sender instead, since this method should never be called with a nil argument. However ...

Here's a question for cmm:

While looking at your MCFileRepositoryInspector code it seems to me that versionNames isn't even used anymore, but only allVersionNames. Indeed, when I remove the super send in MCFileRepositoryInspector>>initializeVersionNames and instead add #refreshEmphasis, everything appears to work fine. So, could the super send be removed for good?

If we could remove it, then my new nil check in MCRepositoryInspector>>initializeVersionNames wouldn't be necessary anymore ...

Also, I assume the reason for introducing allVersionNames was to avoid asking the repository on every package list click. However, wouldn't it have been simpler to do in MCRepositoryInspector, not MCFileRepositoryInspector? Right now we have a weird mix where the versionNames variable is unused etc.

- Bert -