[squeak-dev] Re: [Pharo-project] now that squeaksource is back...

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Wed Nov 7 11:21:26 UTC 2012

On 11/07/2012 10:08 AM, Janko Mivšek wrote:

> Dne 07. 11. 2012 00:13, piše Chris Muller:
>
>> SmalltalkHub is a competing alternative which may be suitable for some
>> Squeak application projects.  It's implemented on Pharo.
>
> It is actually implemented on Amber on web client and Seaside on
> (probably) Pharo on the server. Database is MongoDB. But main language
> is Amber, that's my point here. Another point is that broader
> SmalltalkHub goal is to cover all Smalltalks, VW, VA etc. included.

Yes, SmalltalkHub has a HTML5 frontend written in Amber that uses REST
calls with a backend written in Pharo with Seaside-REST handling the
REST calls from the client side.

Now... I wouldn't want to pitch one better than the other for *Squeak*,
I mean - sure, SmalltalkHub is written in Pharo (backend) but S3 is
written in GLASS, or? So neither is fully Squeak centric :)

In the end we need to cope with multiple sources and make sure our front
end tools can deal with that as gracefully as possible. At the moment
they really don't IMHO.

regards, Göran