[squeak-dev] Help! changes file crash, How to recover?

Hans-Martin Mosner hmm at heeg.de
Thu Nov 15 18:40:45 UTC 2012

Am 11/15/2012 07:25 PM, schrieb liang bing:
> I used Windows notebook to edit the changes file and find the method and
> delelte several word, but the whole source code in many packages are wrong
> now.
>
> Could someone help me to recover?
>
> Thank you very much ahead.
>
>  Bing

Hello Bing,
as you noticed, editing the changes file was a bad idea - it should not be considered a text file but just a journal
file into which the image stores newly accepted methods (and the image remembers the start positions of these methods,
so you must not move text around in this file).
If you know how many characters you deleted in the method source, you could re-insert exactly this many characters so
that any change entries after the edit position are at their right place again.
Was the edit position very close to the end of the changes file? If yes, you could possibly recover the last n thousand
characters of the changes file and recompile those methods (use the "Extras" menu, then select an image save point that
was before your edit).

Whatever you try, you should first save a copy of your changes and image files, so you may re-start your repair if
something goes wrong.

Cheers,
Hans-Martin