[squeak-dev] When does a Form become a standing window? (Or, why does my MicroSqueak window disappear?)

Chris Cunnington smalltalktelevision at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 12:47:57 UTC 2012

MicroSqueak [1] has a hierarchy of classes for making a tiny image.
MForm in that hierarchy has a method:

MForm>>beDisplayDepth:

         specialObjectsArray at: 15 put: self

This is pretty neat. It says take the Form you made and make it the Form
that is the Display.
I run the 59K image with the Etoys 4.1 app to get an older virtual
machine and a separate Mac OSX window appears.
And then it disappears. Pop.

I want it to stay. Don't go anywhere. I'm guessing a process like 'the
UI Process' in the ProcessBrowser is required to create a loop to keep
the window static on my desktop. Then again, maybe that process is just
there to constantly poll for events to send to SmalltalkEditor.

BitBlt class alphaBlendDemo is equally ephemeral. What's the difference
between a Form that disappears on "restore display (r)" and a standing
window?

Thanks,

Chris

[1] http://web.media.mit.edu/~jmaloney/microsqueak/