[squeak-dev] Newbie Question: How does this work?

Chris Cunnington smalltalktelevision at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 22:33:10 UTC 2012

On 12-10-08 6:13 PM, Joseph J Alotta wrote:
> '%6.2e' printf: 412.343434
I loaded in the code you added in Squeak 4.3, executed the above, and
got "MessageNotUnderstood: ByteString>>printf:". I then loaded in Printf
from squeaksource.com/Printf and it worked.

Monticello added some extra methods to various classes in the image.
Don't look at FormatString>>printf: Look at String>>printf:, which is a
superclass of ByteString. The protocol list has printf with an * before
it - *printf. The Monticello package added some extra methods to the
String class.

Chris