[squeak-dev] Squeak Community Meeting now

Colin Putney colin at wiresong.com
Sun Oct 14 20:26:42 UTC 2012

On 2012-10-14, at 7:58 AM, radoslav hodnicak <rh at 4096.sk> wrote:

> Won't running dozens/hundreds of independent images that only communicate by messages return us to manual memory management? You could always return a newly computed copy of the data requested on each message but that could be a major performance hit as well.

I think it depends on the way the communication is organized. If it
was based on remote messaging as in Spoon or E, then, yeah, we'd need
some kind of distributed garbage collection. If it was channel-based,
like Erlang or Go, then that's not as much of an issue.

Of course, it also brings up the issue of managing image processes.
They need to respawned when they fail and terminated when no longer
needed. And if course we'd need dev and deployment tools to manage the
swarm.

It's more of a vision for the next decade than a plan for the next release.

Colin