[squeak-dev] Linux-VW for ARM

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Oct 24 15:22:13 UTC 2012

On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 04:57:29PM +0200, Dietmar Schielke wrote:
> Hello Squeakers,
>
> I want to deploy a Seaside 3.0 application on a NAS-Systems (D-LINK 323
> and QNAP TS419 PII at the moment) with arm-processors.
>
> Does anybody know, where to get a squeak-VM for these systems?
>
> Or as an option - Where should I start reading about building my own VM
> for these systems? I'm a little bit confused about the intended way.
> There is squeakvm.org,  https://gitorious.org/cogvm, a Unix-VM build
> script, Jenkins....
> I searched the wiki with no success.

There are, for better or for worse, several ways to do it. The standard
unix VM would be a suitable choice, and build information is on squeakvm.org
at http://squeakvm.org/unix/devel.html.

There is not yet a jit-enabled VM for ARM (i.e. Cog) but you can build
a StackVM, and several people have reported success on this (I don't have
the links so hopefully someone else can do so). The StackVM provides the
underpinnings of Cog and does provide some performance benefits, although
not yet the actual high-performance jit (but work is under way on that also).

There is also a vm-dev mailing list, so if you have more questions
please feel free to ask there.

Dave