SqueakMap ( was Re: [squeak-dev] Crypto package loading?)

Chris Cunnington smalltalktelevision at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 23:50:09 UTC 2012

On 2012-10-26 7:10 PM, David T. Lewis wrote:
> SqueakMap is not something to be done some time in the indefinite future.
> It has been around a long time, and we just need to *use* it.
>
> If a package is important enough to put on SqueakMap, then just do it. It
> won't get any easier by waiting until Squeak 4.5. And if it is not important
> enough to be worth the trouble of listing it on SqueakMap, then it's probably
> not very important and there would be little point in putting it into the
> extending the system workspace or adding it to the image.
>
> Chris is giving good advice here. If the rest of us make an effort to help
> out by registering important packages on SqueakMap it will help all of us,
> and nobody will need to worry about lobbying to get their favorite package
> included in the image.
>
> Dave

On SqueakMap, FWIW, I'd recommend these changes:

1. When it moves to the new server, discontinue the web access. Make it
GUI access only. Updating the SqueakMap server as seen at map.squeak.org
is endless, tedious, and superfluous.

2. Make Chris Muller's "Create New Release" GUI app the only way to add
a new release.

http://wiki.squeak.org:8080/squeak/6181

3. Remove "SqueakMap Categories" from the "open..." menu because it's
redundant. Replace it with "Create SqueakMap Release" so it's easy to
find Chris M.'s GUI app.

4. Encourage people to load scripts into the "Create New Release" GUI
app, so applications, not packages, are installed with a single click.

http://wiki.squeak.org:8080/squeak/6182

Chris