[squeak-dev] Crypto package loading?

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 08:16:46 UTC 2012

On 27 October 2012 00:10, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:

>> > Guys, do we agree that, until we have a replacement, SqueakMap should
>> > be the "App Store" for Squeak?
>> >
>> > Extending the System workspace is going away.  No one should be doing
>> > any work there other than removing it.
>>
>> It's a chunk of text telling people how to load things. While I agree
>> that SqueakMap ought to be the place to go, it isn't right at the
>> moment. However, I'd be happy to regard that (pushing SM, getting it
>> properly on track etc) as being a core part of 4.5.
>
> SqueakMap is not something to be done some time in the indefinite future.
> It has been around a long time, and we just need to *use* it.
>
> If a package is important enough to put on SqueakMap, then just do it. It
> won't get any easier by waiting until Squeak 4.5.

My point in mentioning 4.5 is that we're (_I'm_) currently behind on
the 4.4 release, and I don't want to see effort diverted to things
that cause further delay. It would be much more helpful for the
community to beat the MC tests into being clean, for instance.

> And if it is not important
> enough to be worth the trouble of listing it on SqueakMap, then it's probably
> not very important and there would be little point in putting it into the
> extending the system workspace or adding it to the image.
>
> Chris is giving good advice here. If the rest of us make an effort to help
> out by registering important packages on SqueakMap it will help all of us,
> and nobody will need to worry about lobbying to get their favorite package
> included in the image.

"Putting it into extending the system workspace" is about maybe 5
seconds of effort. At any rate, I need to concentrate on the 4.4
release, but if someone wants to SM-ify Crypto, then why not add "get
it at SM by evaluating this" to the workspace?

I certainly didn't mean to suggest leaving SM to languish. I'd be very
happy to have it, because our current infrastructure ("our" includes
Pharo) is extremely fragile and heavily depends on quite a few single
points of failure (squeaksource.com, ss3.gemstone.com, ...). SM ought
to help with that (as long as it itself is highly available).

frank