[squeak-dev] The Inbox: KernelTests-fbs.235.mcz

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Oct 28 13:04:44 UTC 2012

On Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 12:39:34AM -0400, David T. Lewis wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 27, 2012 at 11:41:15PM +0100, Frank Shearar wrote:
> > On 27 October 2012 23:37,  <commits at source.squeak.org> wrote:
> > > Frank Shearar uploaded a new version of KernelTests to project The Inbox:
> > > http://source.squeak.org/inbox/KernelTests-fbs.235.mcz
> > >
> > > ==================== Summary ====================
> > >
> > > Name: KernelTests-fbs.235
> > > Author: fbs
> > > Time: 27 October 2012, 11:37:53.223 pm
> > > UUID: ab0d84db-c1bc-40d0-bd90-786dcd6989b5
> > > Ancestors: KernelTests-ul.234
> > >
> > > Mark this test as an expected failure for the 4.4 release. Unmark it at the start of the 4.5 cycle!
> > >
> > > =============== Diff against KernelTests-ul.234 ===============
> > >
> > > Item was added:
> > > + ----- Method: LargeNegativeIntegerTest>>expectedFailures (in category 'as yet unclassified') -----
> > > + expectedFailures
> > > +       ^ #(testMinimumNegativeIntegerArithmetic).!
> >
> > IIRC this test can only pass with suitable VM changes being made.
> > http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7705 mentions that the fix is in
> > VMMaker-dtl.286, so does this mean that with the interpreter VM this
> > test will pass, but with Cog (the VM we use in CI tests) the test will
> > fail?
>
> Yes, that's right. It will fail with older interpreter VMs also.

Frank,

If you want to try running the test suite with an interpreter VM, I
installed a locally built VM on box3.squeak.org that can be used to
drive the tests. This is installed as /usr/local/bin/squeak, and can
be used for running both 32-bit and 64-bit Squeak images.

This VM is built from latest VMMaker and squeakvm.org sources using
the ~lewis/VMUnixBuild/VMUnixBuild.st script (attached), which now seems
to work fairly reliably. It is *not* suitable for general distribution,
so I would appreciate if we can all be careful to refer to it as a local
build, and not as "the standard VM" or any words to that effect.

Note, the latest standard interpreter VM (*) is not working on our
box3.squeak.org server due to a Linux glibc compatibility issue
(/lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.15' not found), hence the need for
a local build.

(*) http://squeakvm.org/unix/release/Squeak-4.10.2.2614-linux_i386.tar.gz

Dave