SqueakMap ( was Re: [squeak-dev] Crypto package loading?)

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Sun Oct 28 22:18:42 UTC 2012

Chris, that completely ignores what got SqueakMap into trouble in the
first place.  The primary requirements are:

  1) A trunk-like process for each application.  Install or Update the
"head" release of an application.
  2) Install an EXACT configuration of an application that is *known
to work* with a exact version of Squeak.  This is needed to protect
the works themselves from bit-rot, so they can be brought forward more
easily.  Not everyone is operating off the trunk.
  3) Quality over quantity.  If an application is in the list, *it
must work*.  That's why, with each new Squeak release, the list of
loadable applications is blank until authors manually tag a Release to
work with that new version of Squeak.

While I'm all for some simplifications, Releases and Categories are
are absolutely essential to the model.

See:

   http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6182
   http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6183