[squeak-dev] Failing tests in trunk, gearing up for 4.4 release

H. Hirzel hannes.hirzel at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 10:53:56 UTC 2012

On 9/6/12, Herbert König <herbertkoenig at gmx.net> wrote:
> Am 05.09.2012 22:46, schrieb Frank Shearar:
>> OK. You can download a zip of the repository from
>> https://github.com/frankshearar/squeak-ci/zipball/master, if that's
>> more convenient.
>>

> Ok I'll look from time to time until I find a Windows VM there.
>
>> Those error tests are probably because of that thing Levente mentioned
>> earlier today: you have to mark your machine as being able to act as a
>> server. It's been a long while since I had a Windows box, so I'm
>> unfamiliar with the concept.
>
> In Windows if you start a program that listens the firewall pops up and
> asks if it shall block that application or not. If you allow access,
> afaik the application is granted full access. So I'm puzzled because I
> run an Aida Webserver from this directory on this VM and in the firewall
> I find rules for the croquet.exe of the folder I run the tests in. But
> the socket tests fail because the socket cannot connect.
>
> If in the meantime someone with more knowledge can hint on what to try
> with the windows firewall, I'll gladly listen, otherwise I'll go
> searching myself later. If nothing helps I'll take the computer from the
> network and disable the firewall.

Frank, Levente and others,
Do the tests use the internet or can they be run on a machine
disconnected from the internet? If yes it is straightforward to
disconnect a MSwindows test machine and disable the firewall
completely...
I have realized that I have about 6 entries with 'croquet.exe' in my
Windows 7 Ultimate Firewall rule set with various things checked and
not checked.  This is because I just copied the original folder with
everything in it (updated image and VM) to run another test.
I have realised as well that after starting TestRunner with all tests
there is a long pause (I felt several minutes) where nothing seems to
go on.

This is not good. We need a strategy to create a reproducable
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Testbed setup.

Second question: Is there another way to post the test results besides
a screen copy like Herbert did with his last test ?
http://minus.com/lggUMtsOCsihW

There might be as well the need to only run part of the tests (e.g.
the Kernel Tests on which people currently work)

--Hannes