[squeak-dev] Extracing author information from Utilities

Colin Putney colin at wiresong.com
Fri Sep 14 17:09:40 UTC 2012

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 9:04 AM, Levente Uzonyi <leves at elte.hu> wrote:

> I created a new class Author which handles author name and initials, similar
> to how Pharo does, but with a better API (of course :)).
[snip]
> Feedback is appreciated.

I definitely like this refactoring. Reifying Author as a distinct
object makes a lot of sense, and opens the way to adding other
metadata, like email address. I also like the preservation of
initials, rather than moving to full names the way Pharo does.

I do have a few questions and nits, though:

1. Why all the "PerSe" methods? Is that for compatibility with older
versions of Squeak or Pharo? This seems like an indication that
there's a missing concept somewhere that should be extracted to a
single place.

2. I don't the idea of using #current only and forbidding #new. To
temporarily switch to another author it makes more sense to swap out
the full object, rather than modifying the current Author in place.
Also we may want to use Author in other places—attaching them to
SqueakMap accounts, or CompiledMethods, or Monticello definitions—so
being able to represent authors other than the current one seems
important.

3. Why #username instead of just #name?

But generally, bravo!

Colin