[squeak-dev] OS version on squeakci?

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 18:01:07 UTC 2012

On 23 September 2012 18:15, Chris Cunnington
<smalltalktelevision at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> looking into setting up an intentionally out of date environment for
>> doing VM builds for Linux.
>>
>> Meanwhile, a workaround might be to just compile a VM on squeakci.org,
>> which of course is what I do on my own PC. I don't know if the
>> squeakci.org box has the required libraries and so forth, but I'll
>> be happy to look into it if I can have shell access to the box.
>>
>> Dave
>>

>> On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 03:51:13PM +0100, Frank Shearar wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Chris,
>>>
>>> Apologies if you've answered this before. What OS/version does
>>> squeakci run? It looks like it's running a CentOS of some description
>>> or other,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to write a build script for running a trunk image on a
>>> stack VM, and I'll at least need to know what version it is before
>>> anyone can give meaningful advice.
>>>
>>> In case David Lewis is reading, I'm seeing this:
>>>
>>> Installing Squeak-4.10.2.2614 for linux_i386 into
>>> /var/lib/jenkins/workspace/LinuxStackVM/target/linux-stackvm
>>> tar: Read 2048 bytes from -
>>> Installation finished.
>>> CHECKING squeakvm
>>>
>>> /var/lib/jenkins/workspace/LinuxStackVM/target/linux-stackvm/lib/squeak/4.10.2-2614/squeakvm:
>>> /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not found (required by
>>>
>>> /var/lib/jenkins/workspace/LinuxStackVM/target/linux-stackvm/lib/squeak/4.10.2-2614/squeakvm)
>>>
>>> /var/lib/jenkins/workspace/LinuxStackVM/target/linux-stackvm/lib/squeak/4.10.2-2614/squeakvm:
>>> /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.7' not found (required by
>>>
>>> /var/lib/jenkins/workspace/LinuxStackVM/target/linux-stackvm/lib/squeak/4.10.2-2614/squeakvm)
>>>
>>> /var/lib/jenkins/workspace/LinuxStackVM/target/linux-stackvm/lib/squeak/4.10.2-2614/squeakvm:
>>> /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.15' not found (required by
>>>
>>> /var/lib/jenkins/workspace/LinuxStackVM/target/linux-stackvm/lib/squeak/4.10.2-2614/squeakvm)
>>>
>>> The machine in question has a /lib/libc-2.5.so, so perhaps that's
>>> causing the problem?
>>>
>>> The excerpt comes from [1]. The script that runs the build lives at [2].
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> frank
>>>
>>> [1] http://squeakci.org/job/LinuxStackVM/7/console
>>> [2]
>>> https://github.com/frankshearar/squeak-ci/blob/master/linux-stackvm.sh
>
> Yea, I think David is on to it. This is an old system. It's Centos 5.2. On
> 2.6.18-92.el5. I've had this server since 2006.
> I believe David when he says that what you want to do is too new for this
> OS. And on that topic there is good news and bad news.
> The good news is that one way or another 1 Nov. this server will no longer
> be a problem in that regard. The bad news is that this means that Jenkins
> will be moving to another server. I am confident that this will not cause a
> disruption in service for our Jenkins server.
> So, this will not be a problem in the near future. That may not help with

Well, we'd planned on releasing before November. I'm pretty happy with
the progress we've made towards a green light. In the long run I'd
like us to be able to use Travis off a GitHub repository (*) (because
why administer something when you can get someone else to do it?), so
hopefully we won't have too long a time period without CI.

frank

(*) I've no idea yet how to join the necessary dots, but I'm sure I'll
think of something.