[squeak-dev] Why would you choose Squeak today?

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 05:45:03 UTC 2012

Easy.  Squeak gives me just the right proportions of freeness,
stability, and control.  The TSTTCPW approach leaves me a basic
Smalltalk interface to the underlying OS features so I'm able to make
and use my _own_ abstractions where I want and employ others'
frameworks where I don't.

Personal growth:  A great way to learn about a subject is to model it
in Smalltalk.  Magma and Maui leave me free to create and operate
complex domain models with impunity.

If Pharo's method of evolution is creationism, Squeak's is
natural-selection.  I think Squeakers are interested in harvesting the
system more than sowing the system.  But sowing _does_ occur naturally
by its community of members sharing and harvesting hand-selected
improvements appropriate for a general-purpose system.  The
conservative approach taken means the trunk is usually top-quality, so
community productivity remains good too.  It's a sane approach geared
toward ensuring the software is serving the community and not the
other way around.

For these reasons and more, I'll continue to create and nurture new
domain models based on Squeak trunk.

 - Chris