[squeak-dev] Altitude - Seaside JSON example

Chris Cunnington smalltalktelevision at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 02:26:50 UTC 2012

On 12-09-24 9:17 PM, Colin Putney wrote:
> There are a few things that
> could be really useful—e.g., a DAV server and some way of storing
> Javascript within the image—but I can't really see doing anything to
> eliminate the need to write Javascript.
And abstracting over the JavaScript doesn't release a person from the
obligation of already knowing the JavaScript that you're abstracting
over either. I think I'd have to agree with you that there is no blanket
way of abstracting over it so that you're saving effort in all
situations. There are some situations where Lukas's work in Scriptaclous
was impressive in that you'd write a class and then pop, pop, pop add
attributes and you're on your way. I remember translating an AJAX Hacks
book example to his Scriptaculous and being impressed by the brevity.

At STIC Eric Clayberg was using HTML5 2D canvas examples incidental to
his Dart presentation. Afterward I found a library called jCanvas[1]
that is a plugin for jQuery. I'd like to make some classes abstract over
specs for shapes:

$("canvas").drawRect({
   fillStyle:  "#000",
   x:  50,  y:  50,
   width:  200,
   height:  100,
   fromCenter:  false
});

would become something similar to one of Lukas's classes with a few
attributes. And then I'd like to code Breakout [2]. That'd be nifty.

Chris

[1] http://calebevans.me/projects/jcanvas/index.php
[2] http://billmill.org/static/canvastutorial/index.html