Unloading packages with Environments (was Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Towards SqueakCore)

Colin Putney colin at wiresong.com
Mon Apr 1 22:06:28 UTC 2013

On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 2:07 PM, Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com>wrote:

Right. That tells me there's an Alias still pointing to the XMLWriter
> class. So my half-baked theory is that something's missing in the
> Environment work and how it integrates with Monticello?

I don't think that's it. I mean sure, Environments is incomplete and buggy,
but the behaviour you describe can happen in Squeak 4.4 too. If there are
any instances of XMLWriter when you unload the class, they get migrated to
obsolete instances. The thing to do is, as Eliot suggested, figure out
what's pointing to them and how to sever those references before you unload
the class.

Colin