OT: The shift to agriculture (was Re: [squeak-dev] Fwd: Fwd: [squeakland] The Dynabook and modern computing)

Casey Ransberger casey.obrien.r at gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 05:27:06 UTC 2013

I'm not sure we've successfully completed a shift to agriculture at all.

Some of the problems that modern societies still struggle with are directly related to the fact that we're (instinctively) better at hunting/gathering than agriculture, e.g. we have expensive overflowing prisons, whereas a hunter/gatherer who serially violated social norms would likely be left to hunt and gather alone, a fate roughly equivalent to death (unless a position in another social group could be obtained.)

Sounds a bit like getting fired from a job, no? I think that might be what Alan meant about the knee capping, but I'm not him so I don't know for sure.