[squeak-dev] Call for volunteering of build slaves

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 12:58:01 UTC 2013

On 12 April 2013 13:52, Edgar J. De Cleene <edgardec2005 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4/12/13 9:15 AM, "Frank Shearar" <frank.shearar at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> We have a host of CI jobs running all in-image tests, loading various
>> packages into various Squeak versions and running same on various VMs.
>> We attempt to build the bleeding edge Interpreter and Cog VMs. We'd
>> like to do even more.
>>
>> All this requires machinery. We have build.squeak.org running jobs,
>> I've donated a FreeBSD slave and an OS X slave. We don't have any
>> Windows slaves, and we really need several more Linux build slaves to
>> take up the strain of the main jobs.
>>
>> Who would be willing to run builds on behalf of the community?
>>

>> The fine print
>> --------------
>> As long as folk don't mind the potential security risks (Jenkins will
>> have the right to run arbitrary commands on the slave under its user
>> account), it's easy to set up.
>>
>> Easiest to set up are machines into which Jenkins can ssh: they just
>> require a user account and an SSH keypair. Machines running behind
>> NATs are also fine: I have a script prepared that will run the Jenkins
>> slave. (Of course that means that if you want to run the slave 24/7
>> you'd need to set up your own rc.d/system/init.d/whatever to keep the
>> process up.)
>>
>> Any takers?
>>
>> frank
>
> I have one for you, but you don't use it...

You need the slave running on your machine for build.squeak.org to be
able to use it. If you go to http://build.squeak.org/ you'll see your
nodes are marked "offline". You switch your machines off each day if I
recall, so you need to just automate the starting up of the build
slave. I think we added a script on one of your machines to start the
slave, so that just needs to be running for everything to work.

frank