[squeak-dev] [ANN] Four new OLPC Games by the Software Architecture Group

mokurai at earthtreasury.org mokurai at earthtreasury.org
Wed Apr 17 05:10:22 UTC 2013

On Tue, April 16, 2013 11:22 am, Michael Perscheid wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> we'd like to announce that we published four new games for the OLPC/XO
> laptop (also available
> for Standard Squeak, MIT license). They have been developed by students in
> the last semesters
> of our software architecture lecture (Hasso-Plattner-Institute, University
> of Potsdam).
>
> http://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/swa/projects/olpc/index.html
> (or: http://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/hirschfeld/projects/olpc/index.html)

Thank you. I downloaded all of the games on that page, and look forward to
trying them out and dissecting them to see how they work.

What materials do you use to teach Etoys and Squeak to your software
architecture class? I see by opening a System Browser on BroBreakout that
much of your game development is in Squeak.

I an others are currently working on an Etoys Reference Manual in two
volumes,

http://booki.flossmanuals.net/etoys-reference-manual/_edit/
http://booki.flossmanuals.net/etoys-reference-manual-vol-ii/_edit/

including the Etoys interface to the Squeak IDE, and would be interested
in any comments you or your students could make. Or any of them could join
in, if they like.

I am planning a book, Etoys by Example, that would start by showing how
learners can modify the tutorial and sample projects provided in the Etoys
image, and how to learn Etoys and Squeak by dissecting such examples. With
these tools, they can determine for themselves how they can use Etoys
effectively, and then progress to as much mastery of Squeak as they
choose. Would you or your students be willing for me to include some of
your software as more advanced examples, and to describe any of their
design process?

I see that the page says that these games are under the MIT license, but
BroBreakout says that it is under a Creative Commons
Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. I have not yet looked at
the others. Can we get this resolved?

> In particular, we thank the following students for their course work and
> Matthias Springer for
> porting the projects to the XO.
>
> BroBreakout
> 	Fabio Niephaus, Daniel Werner, Philipp Otto, Frank Blechschmidt
> PetConnect
> 	Jaqueline Pollak, Daniel Neuschaefer-Rube, Jakob Reschke, Judith Hartmann
> BDBoulderDash
> 	Johannes Koch, Tim Friedrich, Johannes Villmow, Felix Wolff
> SpaceCleanup
> 	Kai Fabian, Dominik Moritz, Malte Swart, Matthias Springer
>
> More games are coming soon...

Vielen Dank.

--
Edward Mokurai