[Pharo-project] [squeak-dev] Xtreams's FileDirectory dependence

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 14:25:57 UTC 2013

On 18 April 2013 15:14,  <mkobetic at gmail.com> wrote:
> As Jan mentioned, in https://github.com/mkobetic/Xtreams I'm primarily just experimenting with Cypress. However the master branch there is misleading, it contains a very early port of Xtreams to ST/X (there's a much more up to date version in Jan's ST/X project @ https://swing.fit.cvut.cz/jenkins/job/xtreams_reports/).
>
> However if you look at some of the other branches in the github project you can find a fairly up to date, Cypress formatted dump from VW as well as the results of Sean's ESUG effort to add namespace-prefix mapping to Filetree (branch pharo_experiment). My ultimate goal is to test Dale's idea to maintain a cross-dialect project as parallel branches in git. However we still need to iron out various dialect differences in terms of what they emit as Cypress formatted output. BTW, does anyone know if git/github can handle absence of a master branch? I'd be inclined to just delete the master from the repository if that works well.

Github's fine with this. You have to choose a new default branch, and
then you can freely git push origin :master. You can also recreate a
new master, and reset default to it if desired.

> I've been planning to ping Sean about his Filetree fixes for a while, but I need to find the time to be able to actually act on it :-). The prefix-namespace mapping is crucial to make the parallel branch approach at all feasible. There's also the Environment effort on Squeak side which may obviate the prefix mapping need, but it seems to be still in fairly early stages.

Environments definitely needs more beating on it. We have flushed out
a number of bugs, but in particular we need folks to just use it, and
try out importing, nesting, and the like

> So far it was mostly Nicolas' manual effort that brought VW updates over the Squeak/Pharo side. I think it was a while since the last time he's done that, so the VW port is probably ahead somewhat. But Xtreams development isn't that active anymore. Most of our Xtreams related efforts are about using them for various things, so any changes are mostly fixes or small improvements driven by that use. So in some sense a manual update could be a feasible approach at this point. But I would really like to turn the project into a more collaborative effort, where updates can flow reasonably in any direction.

Agreed. In particular I'd like to push my #interleave: implementation
upstream! I don't know how far out of sync things are, but certainly I
don't feel any pain when using Xtreams.

> While I'm on the topic, I'm considering some API changes and am not sure how to go about discussing it. I don't want to cross post discussions to a number of mailing lists, so I think I'm inclined to just cross-post an invitation to anyone interested to subscribe to the Issues on the project site (https://code.google.com/p/xtreams/) and have those discussions there. Any thoughts on that?

That's probably the best approach: people interested in Xtreams ought
to talk about Xtreams on the Xtreams list!

frank