How to move a method from one package to another in the Trunk (was: Re: [squeak-dev] The Trunk: Graphics-fbs.209.mcz)

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Wed Apr 24 15:47:15 UTC 2013

On Tue, 23 Apr 2013, Frank Shearar wrote:

> I've pushed out a new config map, update-fbs.231, which loads Morphic
> before Graphics, thus ensuring that there's always a #asGrafPort in
> the image. I still don't like that Cog sprang a leak there, but at
> least things are back on track.
>
> All I'd wanted to do was move a method from one package to another: I
> really hadn't expected to completely smash updating. Is there anything

Instead of changing the order of packages in the config map, you could
have created a map which contains the new version of Morphic (which
contains the method), but still the previous version of Graphics (which
also has the method). So when that update map is fully processed, the
method is still in the image (in 2 packages). The method will be
removed from Graphics, when the updater loads the newer version of it.

> I could have done before pushing to trunk to prevent this?

Yes. This is how we used to do it:
1) upload the package which you want to contain the method (in this case
Morphic)
2) create a new update map (containting the latest version of all
packages as usual)
3) upload the package which you don't want to contain the method (in this
case Graphics)

This way you don't have to tweak the update map.

Levente