[squeak-dev] Re: [Pharo-dev] [ANN] Curved Space Explorer for Squeak

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Fri Aug 2 07:22:59 UTC 2013

On 28 July 2013 00:32, Nikolay Suslov <nsuslovi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Let me introduce the Curved Space Explorer for Squeak project
> (https://vimeo.com/71173349),  known as CCSE by Krestianstvo SDK.
> It is a Smalltalk port version of Curved Spaces, originally developed by
> Jeff Weeks (geometrygames.org) in C language.
> This Squeak version is derived from Krestianstvo SDK project's version,
> where Curved Space Explorer is collaborative in it's nature and available
> mainly for distributed computation.
> The aim of this project is to make Curved Space Explorer in Smalltalk being
> available for the large Smalltalk audience and mainstream Squeak
> distribution, so that anybody interested could work with it.
> The source code is available here: http://sdk.krestianstvo.org/sdk/ccse.html
> Preinstalled Squeak image is here:
> http://krestianstvo.org/sdk/Squeak4.4-12327-ccse.zip
> For manual install use following instructions:
> (is tested and working with Squeak 4.4 and Squeak 4.5 alpha)
>
> "1. Load FFI"
>
> (Installer repository: 'http://source.squeak.org/FFI')
>  install: 'FFI-Pools';
>  install: 'FFI-Kernel';
> install: 'FFI-Tests'.
>
> "2. Load 3DTransform "
>
> (Installer repository: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/CroquetGL')
>     install: '3DTransform'.
>
> "3. Load OpentGL and CCSE"
>
> (Installer repository: 'http://sdk.krestianstvo.org/sdk/ccse')
>     install: 'OpenGL-Pools';
>     install: 'OpenGL-Core';
>     install: 'OpenGL-NameManager';
>     install: 'CCSpaceExplorer'.
>
> "4. Run sample application"
>
> CCSEMorphRender runApp

Cool! Thanks!

I just tried it on my work machine (Ubuntu 13) and ran into an odd
problem. I'm getting told "MessageNotUnderstood: BlockContext>>". Note
that it is indeed complaining that BlockContext doesn't understand #''
!

The error appears immediately after this runs:

OGLUnixX11LE >> openGLLibraryName
    ^Smalltalk osVersion = 'linux'
        ifTrue: ['libGL.so.1']
        ifFalse: ['GL']

Now on my machine Smalltalk osVersion = 'linux-gnu', but I get the
weird error even when I change the conditional to `Smalltalk osVersion
beginsWith: 'linux'`. I find it utterly bizarre that something should
try to send #'' to anything after this call. Clearly something's gone
wrong, and it's almost certainly not the CCSE. Any ideas?

frank