[squeak-dev] When did Scratch diverge?

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Wed Aug 7 02:54:11 UTC 2013

After more peering at dark corners of code, some possible light glimmers appear. I hope they're not an oncoming train…

So far as I can work out, Squeak converts incoming characters from the keyboard and clipboard according to the locale setting returned from the locale plugin (or goes for 'en' if that goes wrong). For now I'll assume that having a locale that needs non-ascii characters will result in at least some strings being WideString objects and that they will get displayed nicely, according to the fonts installed. So we have either latin-1 ascii BytesStrings or unicode WideStrings. Correct so far?

Currently Scratch expects the translation dictionary files it uses to have utf8 encoded strings for the not-english translations, so a utf8 class of some sort will be required in order to stuff them and translate to WideString. Similarly the project file format expects either Strings (as in the old Squeak latin-1 ascii) or UTF8 strings, so a conversion either way is still needed. I think that utf8 can be restricted to only existing as an intermediary buffer object.

I don't suppose the code currently in Squeak handles right-to-left languages?

tim
Hardware: The parts of a computer system that can be kicked.