[squeak-dev] [ANN] MCInfoProxy

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu Aug 15 18:28:14 UTC 2013

On 15.08.2013, at 18:51, Chris Muller <ma.chris.m at gmail.com> wrote:

> You know, you guys are really tough!  For many years y'all have been complaining about the size of the image.

IMHO making the image more modular is not about size in the first place, but about managing complexity. Having clear dependencies between packages also is useful for image shrinking, granted, but much more importantly it makes the system cleaner and simpler to understand.

> When I complained to Frank about committing new versions of stuff with one character deleted from a comment, he said, "if our systems can't withstand lots of updates then we need to fix our systems."

That was about the way we store MCZs, each of which has a full snapshot of the code. I have not heard complaints about the size of MCVersionInfos in the image.

> That's what I've spent my time and energy working toward here.  I thought you would be pleased, but you don't want to even give it a chance.

Well, I didn't complain right away ;) It sounded like a neat idea at first, but then I remembered that one of the things I really like about Monticello is its clarity and simplicity. Everything is very concrete, whereas proxies are very meta by nature.

- Bert -