[squeak-dev] [ANN] Aida 6.6 Web Framework Released

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Thu Aug 29 19:08:31 UTC 2013

Dear Squeakers,

This time a new version is released first on Squeak, because I just
finished few patches for WebSockets to work correctly on Squeak.
Thoroughly tested therefore Aida is now ready for you to test it by
yourself. You are therefore invited to help catching any remaining
problems by downloading and running it by following script:

  i := Installer monticello http: 'http://smalltalkhub.com'.
  i    project: 'mc/Sport/Sport/main';
       install: 'Sport-2.031'.
  i    project: 'mc/Swazoo/Swazoo/main';
       install: 'Swazoo-2.3final.2'.
  i    project: 'mc/Aida/Aida/main';
       install: 'Aida6.6-final.2'.

Then open http://localhost:8888 in your recent web browser and try demos
like realtime one.

A famous counter is used in this realtime example to show all the
Smalltalk elegance for writing web apps with most bleeding edge web
technology as realtime (in our case WebSocket based) technology is.
Realtime in the sense that values on the webpage are updated in
immediately after this value changed. Changed from some outside reason
(like temperature on Arctic changed) or by action from some other user,
as above mentioned example shows. You can simulate that by open it in
two different browsers, changing a count in one will immediately
reflects in other browser. To test that on "global" level try our online
realtime example: http://demo.aidaweb.si/demos?view=realtime

More about Aida: http://www.aidaweb.si
More about news in that release in:
       http://www.aidaweb.si/release-notes-6.6