[squeak-dev] Smalltalk cleanUp: agressiveOrNot

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Sat Aug 31 20:04:21 UTC 2013

>> When I prepare a new "shrunk trunk", I run this guy:
>> https://github.com/squeak-smalltalk/squeak-ci/blob/master/shrink-trunk.st.
>> You'll see it just unloads packages and implicitly trusts that those
>> packages know how to correctly unload themselves.
>
> What do you think about having shrink-trunk.st simply be:
>
>     Smalltalk unloadAllKnownPackages
>
> so we can then we can maintain it from the image..?

That method does a lot of stuff which is somewhat redundant.  It's too
long anyway so I'll factor it so we can access just what we want in
your shrink-trunk.st script.

BTW, in ReleaseBuilder we call an agressive Smalltalk cleanUp: (true)
vs. with #unloadAllKnownPackages and also your shrink we just call
Smalltalk cleanUp: (false).

I've looked at the methods and seen the differences between aggressive
and not but...  I was wondering does anyone know whether there is an
over-arching conceptual difference between the two?  e.g., under what
circumstances would a particular clean-up be considered aggressive vs.
not?