[squeak-dev] Logging from the Compiler

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Mon Dec 9 18:17:39 UTC 2013

On 09-12-2013, at 9:07 AM, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:

> More importantly though, I'd like to ask you, since you imply the
> Compiler should be an optional component in the "Core", and a "Core"
> image is required to be able to expand and configure itself up to some
> vertical purpose from additional packages, how would this be
> accomplished without the Compiler in the image?

Strictly speaking you don’t need the compiler to add code, only to add code that needs, err, compiling. You can, for example add code as an ImageSegment (or at least you used to be able to; does it still work?) or via the mechanism Craig uses in Spoon. One could argue that we are using the image segment /spoon code as a compiler in these cases, but I’d probably have to rap knuckles for imprecision.

tim
Strange OpCodes: LOW: Launch on Warning