[squeak-dev] Re: [vwnc] Does anyone have a "new" string literal?

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 23:14:41 UTC 2013

>> in my methods. The problem I run into is the smalltalk string quote(‘). It
>> is a real pain
>>
>> to double quote it, and don’t even try to copy and paste external
>> javascript.

Why is it a pain to change single quotes into two-successive single quotes?

  1) Copy HTML from external source.
  2) Back in Squeak, Command+V to paste it.
  3) Press Command+Home.  Press Command+F.  Type single-quote (') in
the find dialog.  Enter.
  4) Type single-quote twice.  (Replaces highlighted single-quote with
two single quotes).
  5) Command+Shift+J to replace all subsequent occurrences.
  6) Command+A to select all.
  7) Command+' (single-quote) to enclose entire string in single quotes.

Takes all of about 10 seconds.  Unless HTML has two single-quotes in
succession I see no reason it shouldn't work..