[squeak-dev] [Cuis] [Ann] Cuis 4.1 is released

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Feb 7 13:40:48 UTC 2013

On Thu, Feb 07, 2013 at 09:10:25AM -0300, Juan Vuletich (mail lists) wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> Quoting Martin Kuball <martinkuball at web.de>:
>
> >Am Wednesday 12 December 2012 schrieb Juan Vuletich (mail lists):
> >>Hi Folks,
> >>
> >>Cuis 4.1 is available at http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Index.html .
> >>Biggest news is in the Morph hierarchy. Ivars 'bounds' and
> >>'fullBounds' are gone! All coordinates are now Float and relative to
> >>the owner morph. This is part of the transition to Morphic 3. The
> >>drawing engine is still BitBlt and the UI is not scalable yet, but
> >>Morphic 3 is now much closer.
> >>
> >>Cheers,
> >>Juan Vuletich
> >>

> >I tried cuis 4.1 but was not able to get it to work. I used the
> >latest vm from debian unstable: 4.10.2.2614-1_amd64. When I open the
> >image everything seems to be fine. Altough I'm not sure if the
> >background is supposed to be black? But when I move windows arround
> >or open popups the screen is not redrawn and it gets cluttered with
> >parts of the windows and the popups (see attached image). Any idea
> >what's causing this? The squeak images work just fine.
> >
> >Martin
> >

> The problems you see are due to bugs in BitBlt that I fixed about 2
> years ago. You need a newer VM.
>
> As we recommend at http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Index.html , use the
> latest Cog VM for your platform if possible. Right now, that would be
> http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r2678/coglinux.tgz . If
> that doesn't fit your system, you need to find a relatively recent VM
> with the fixed BitBlt.
>
> Maybe someone can give more specific advice, as I'm not a Linuxer...

Squeak VMs are at http://squeakvm.org/index.html, which has links to
download the standard interpreter VM at http://squeakvm.org/unix/ and
Cog VM at http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/. Cuis will work
with any of these VMs.

I'm not sure who is maintaining the Debian distribution, but apparently
it is broken.

Dave