[squeak-dev] New, faster RISC OS Squeak

Chris Cunnington smalltalktelevision at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 19:58:00 UTC 2013

On 2013-02-07 2:48 PM, tim Rowledge wrote:
> On 07-02-2013, at 8:49 AM, Chris Cunnington <smalltalktelevision at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I get a File 'System:Modules.StreamMan' not found error.
>>
>> I take it from here [1] [2] that StreamMan is short for StreamManager. And that it should be in the sharedsoundbuffer.!System folder. I shift+double clicked and followed !Shared.350.Modules to see StreamMan in this directory. The file appears present but still there is an error.
>
> Well that's odd. You should find the two files 'StreamMan' & "SSBuffer' with (in a TaskWindow, which I imagine you've already discovered can be obtained with a ctl-F12)
> . system:modules.350
> (NB the colon between system & modules is important)
> If you do the shift-d-click dance down through
> !boot ->Resources -> !System -> 350 -> modules they'd damn well better be there or I'll have nasty words to say to some code.
> They should be listed as
> StreamMan	16k module 06:27:38 01 Apr 2004
> SSBuffer		15k module 06:27:50 01 Apr 2004
>
> If you d-click on each of them and then in that TaskWindow
> help sharedsou.
> you should get some blather about help for keyword SharedSound and more about help for SharedSoundBuffer 0.07
> Similarly with
> help stream.
> regarding StreamManager 0.03
>
> {the . is an abbreviation marker, so help sh. for example gets loads of stuff about shellCLI, sharedsound, shrinkRMA, showfree etc. A bit like shell name autocomplete on unix but inverted}
>
> Also in the TaskWindow, try
> ifthere system:modules.streamman then echo yay else echo boo
>
> If all else fails, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p85xwZ_OLX0
>
> tim
> --
> Strange OpCodes: BW: Branch on Whim

That stuff looks grand. I'll try it tomorrow. Setting up the RPi is
something of a production at the moment. Wires everywhere. And the new
screen does double duty as a second monitor for my Mac. So, the detailed
advice you've provided I'll have to read, think about, and try in the
morning.
I figure !System adds a module and I should see it by getting the
TaskWindow and entering *MODULES. (I found an old Archimedes manual at a
library at the U.ofT.). I think you said as much about drilling down
through the !boot file. It won't be long now. It's opening up at high
speed, as I only got it all assembled on Sunday.

Thanks,
Chris