[squeak-dev] Filein mechanics

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 23:19:21 UTC 2013

On 7 February 2013 17:14, Jeff Gonis <jeff.gonis at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am currently working on getting the Squeak Jenkins server to perform
> benchmarking and so far everything is going great except for one thing. When
> I try to filein code implementing some benchmarks into a headless VM, it
> just hangs. If I filein the same file to a non-headless VM everything works
> just fine.
>
> Seeing as how things only blow up when I am running headless, debugging is
> made somewhat more complicated.
>
> I was wondering if anyone had some advice on getting better debug
> information from a headless VM, besides explicit log statements? I was also
> wondering if this sort of problem is ringing any bells for anyone on the
> list. I don't really have a good grip on how filein works either, so any
> pointers would be greatly appreciated. Would filein be attempting to send ui
> messages that are failing? I didn't see any user input requests when I filed
> into a normal VM, so I don't think it is waiting on a response. Any help is
> appreciated.

SyntaxErrors in your scripts will bite. Run the image headful until
you're sure you've got it right. Wrapping your script in an [] on:
Error do: [:e | "print to stdout" ] is a good idea, but doesn't save
you from a SyntaxError. We'll probably have this problem until we (a)
rewrite the load logic and (b) have something like Pharo's
CommandLineUIManager.

Also, don't ever put ! characters in your load scripts. Even if
they're in a string. See http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7732

frank