[squeak-dev] Towards SqueakCore

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 23:51:21 UTC 2013

In the interests of revisiting Pavel Krivanek's work, and a long term
goal of this community, I thought I'd use the Dependency Browser and
dig out interpackage dependencies.

By scraping the DependencyBrowser's contents together with a bit of UI
scripting I've constructed a dotfile of Trunk (attached). Turning this
into a PNG results in an 11MB image! [1] Nodes near the top are nodes
that aren't used by many things.

For instance, ReleaseBuilder's right at the top because nothing depends on it.

One thing to note is that XML-Parser and Nebraska are only used by
Universes, and that Universes isn't used by anything else.

It occurs to me that we could thus remove these 3 packages from trunk
and add the loading of these to ReleaseBuilderFor4dot5 [2], and still
end up with a 4.5 that while apparently unchanged, actually has a
smaller core.

What do you think of trying this out as an experiment? How would we
unload these packages? (I should note: I've nothing against these
packages. They're just packages that aren't woven into the guts of the
image, and are thus easily removable.)

frank

[1] If you have dot installed, `dot -Tpng -o trunk-deps.dot
trunk-deps.png` will do the trick.
[2] Installer squeak
	package: 'trunk';
	install: '39Deprecated-ar.19';