[squeak-dev] Re: Towards SqueakCore

Yanni Chiu yanni at rogers.com
Mon Feb 11 16:41:59 UTC 2013

On 11/02/13 9:18 AM, Stéphane Rollandin wrote:
> ... It seems to me that backward compatibility is
> jeopardized in this process (I know it's not a Pharo value, but it is a
> Squeak one).

<rant>
What's up with some people in the Squeak "camp" trying to artificially
draw distinctions between Squeak and Pharo - to the point of FUD, like
the above statement.

Of course "backward compatibility" is of value to everybody. A less
antagonistic way to state the Pharo point of view, is that: if backward
compatibility would block forward progress, or is too costly to provide,
then, choose to drop compatibility (and if proven wrong in that
decision, put back the compatibility - which has occurred already).

How is that different from what Squeak has to do? IMHO, the difference
is in the cost the community is willing to pay for compatibility, and
the rate at which forward progress can be made. That's the choice
individuals and communities choose, nothing wrong with that.
</rant>