[squeak-dev] Towards SqueakCore (adjusting the GetText package)

H. Hirzel hannes.hirzel at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 15:30:48 UTC 2013

On 2/13/13, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
> On 2013-02-12, at 21:24, Colin Putney <colin at wiresong.com> wrote:
>
>> We should especially look at System->GetText
>
> IMHO #translated and co. should be part of the System package, because
> senders are necessarily sprinkled all over the place. There should be a
> translator registry and if no translator were registered it would return the
> string untranslated. GetText would hook into that.
>
> - Bert -

At the moment the class TextDomainManager is in a specialezed GetText
package. There is
GetText-Editor and
GetText-Localization

There is in addition a package
System-Localization

which contains classes like ISOLanguageDefinition, InternalTranslator,
Locale, NaturalLanguageTranslator

Bert, is what you mean done by exchanging

GetText-Editor --> System-GetTextEditor

GetText-Localization --> System-GetTextLocalization

How should the translation registry class be named?

--Hannes