[squeak-dev] Re: Toward SqueakCore (including alternative plan)

Colin Putney colin at wiresong.com
Thu Feb 14 01:20:54 UTC 2013

Craig wrote:

>      If we have the raw class dependency data, why do we anything else?
> > And we may very well find that the groupings expressed by PackageInfo
> > (class category) stuff are wrong anyway...

Frank replied:

Well, because PackageInfo is what we have right now. But the

counterargument, for what it's worth, is "then let's correct the
> PackageInfo data until they do make sense as modules".

The system is too big to look at all the class-level dependencies all at
once. Even just looking at package dependencies, Tobias had to simplify the
graph to be able to get meaningful insights. Of course, to actually break
the dependencies, yeah, we'll have to go down to the level of classes and
methods. But the high-level overview can help us sort out priorities.

Also, note that PackageInfo and class categories aren't the same thing.
Packages can include extension methods on classes not in the package, and
exclude extensions that belong to other packages. It's true that examining
the system via class category doesn't make a lot of sense, but that's not
what we're doing here.

Colin