[squeak-dev] re: Toward SqueakCore (including alternative plan)

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 11:24:07 UTC 2013

On 15 February 2013 10:52, Craig Latta <craig at netjam.org> wrote:

> Hi--
>
>      Hannes writes:
>
>> Thank you for your mail which gives a lot of useful detailed
>> explanations.
>
>      Sure thing.
>
>> Is the garbage collector available as a loadable package?
>
>      No, I haven't separated that from the rest of the Spoon VM changes,
> which are in the mainstream image included in recent Spoon releases.
>
>> > You imprint the unit test's code onto a minimal memory,
>>
>> With 'minimal memory' I assume you mean a minimal image while it is
>> in memory?
>
>      I'm using "memory" as shorthand for "object memory". I avoid using
> the word "image" as much as I can, because it often confuses newcomers
> when I explain Smalltalk to them. They think it has something to do with
> graphics. It's especially problematic when I'm explaining my object
> memory visualization work, which is heavily graphical.
>
>      I've had better results by evoking the model of a virtual processor
> with its own memory, especially now that many people are familiar with
> things like VMWare.
>
>> > [After a minimal imprinting unit test] we can move onto more
>> > interesting things, like graphics (or WebDAV, or...).
>>
>> With graphics you mean an [object memory] which executes graphics
>> commands?
>
>      Sure, I mean the library support for a GUI. The minimal memory is
> headless.
>
>> Yes, what other candidates do you propose as a test?
>
>      I think the minimal echo-server unit test is the only test we need,
> then we should get on to doing real work. We'll probably want some sort
> of user interface as a top priority, so I imagine support for a
> simplified Morphic, or MVC, or wxWidgets would be likely, as would
> remote text-editor access via WebDAV (and I've already written that code).
>
>      Beyond that, as now, it's up to all us motivated people to decide
> the priorities and do the work. I think I would work on the VM simulator
> next, and I'd like to get all the vm-making stuff installing,
> generating, and executing this way.
>

>      Frank writes:
>
>> I half and half have a problem with dissolving, just in the sense
>> that if you don't use it it's gone, only that might be, say, UI
>> wiring.
>
>      But that's fine if your goal is a minimal object memory, yes?
>
>> ...we have discussed Spoon's tech before - last time was, IIRC, "how
>> can you diff two arbitrary binary blobs?"
>
>      Sorry, I don't recall the context. Can you point me to messages in
> the squeak-dev archives, or summarize with a bit more detail?

This is in the middle of the thread:
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2012-February/163033.html

It's a conversation that I paused, because I wanted to mull over Spoon
(and then of course I got distracted by other stuff). I'll reread the
Spoon docs and see what happens in my hindbrain.

frank