[squeak-dev] FloatMathPlugin status?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Mon Feb 18 05:46:28 UTC 2013

On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 09:31:36PM -0800, tim Rowledge wrote:
> As part of my "let's see what I haven't got around to yet" attack on the VM, I tried making the FloatMethPlugin on RISC OS.  I got bitten by the __LITTLE_ENDIAN define requirement, and the very odd seeming problem with isnan() but eventually go a plugin built. When trying to use the TestRunner to see it if worked I was a little startled to find it blew my VM out of the water without so much as a by-your-leave.
>
> Googling doesn't bring up much that seems useful so I'm forced to throw myself on the collective memory of listers. Am  I wasting my time here - is it actually in use or about to become useful for general Squeak operations? Can anyone remember any implementation issues that might help me fix it? Why was isnan() an issue? Why do lions?

It is compiled as in internal plugin in the unix VMs. I don't
recall any changes to this plugin or the support code.

One related note - in Cog (image format 6505), the double precision
floats are stored in platform native word order, so on a little-ender
the high and low order words of a double are reversed compared to the
traditional interpreter (6504 or 6502) formats. But I don't think that
there is any effect on the support code, and anyway the interpreter
VM swaps them all back to expected order at image load time.

Dave