[squeak-dev] How to call irsend

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Feb 18 17:19:27 UTC 2013

On 2013-02-18, at 18:09, Louis LaBrunda <Lou at Keystone-Software.com> wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> I have written two classes to manage a bunch of irsend command calls (to
> change the cable box channel) at a given time and reschedule it for another
> day.  I have two questions.
>
> 1) Where would be a good place in Squeak to document how each class works?
> The classes are fairly simple.  One class holds the information for what
> command should be run and when.  The other class manages a group of similar
> (by programmer choice) commands and run then at the proper time.  How they
> work together requires some documenting.

The class comment.

> 2) It seems to me the two classes I have written would fit nicely into your
> OSProcess... group of classes.  I would like to make these classes
> available under the MIT licence and I hoping you will accept them into the
> fold and distribute them with your package.  I'm not familiar enough with
> Squeak to even know where to start to distribute them on my own.

Certainly calling out to a special-purpose tool does not belong in the generic OSProcess package.

Besides, why did you make it so complicated in the first place? Why not connect to LIRC's TCP socket directly? irsend is a trivial little program that does nothing more than forward its command line arguments to the LIRC demon. Then you wouldn't even need OSProcess. The protocol is straight-forward:

http://www.lirc.org/html/technical.html#applications

- Bert -