[squeak-dev] Bibi, a Scratch port to recent Squeak

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue Feb 19 23:15:49 UTC 2013

On 19-02-2013, at 12:10 PM, Stéphane Rollandin <lecteur at zogotounga.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> For those interested, I have made available a first draft of Bibi (a port of BYOB 3.1, based on Scratch) loading and working on Squeak 4.4 at this address:

An excellent start at an interesting project. I'm pretty certain there is a *lot* of performance to squeeze out of Scratch generally. One thing I've been doing to get a grip of what effects my attempts on the Pi have been causing is to remove the interCycleDelay. For some project I see the frameratemorph claiming 300fps (yes, even on the Pi) and for some 1fps.

One thing you'll want to fix soon is the File menu being able to escape from fill-the-screen mode so you can easily get to the world menu to open things like the frameratemorph. I just caused a debugger to get to somewhere I could type. Interestingly on my 3GHz iMac running on the cog vm I could only get 38fps for a benchmark that simply swaps between two 480*360 backgrounds, so there's clearly something spending a lot of time buried in there. Plain old Scratch seems to be able to do about 70fps on the older interpreter VM.
On my Pi, plain Scratch does 14fps but bibi is only doing 2. Not complaining - just hopefully useful comparison for you.

tim
Oxymorons: Good grief