[squeak-dev] Re: OmniBrowser + OCompletion in Squeak 4.3 / 4.4 ? And Cacophony of Package Systems ...

Tobias Pape Das.Linux at gmx.de
Wed Feb 20 10:41:13 UTC 2013

Am 20.02.2013 um 11:30 schrieb Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com>:

> On 20 February 2013 02:48, Chris Muller <ma.chris.m at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Thanks for the note John.  I hope you don't mind if I cc the
>> squeak-dev list in my reply.
> […]

Here is my not too serious comparison chart for The Things to Load Code.

	Pkg install frontend	Package manager		Version management	Repository
-------+-----------------------+-----------------------+-----------------------+---------------------
Squeak	SqueakMap		Metacello		Monticello		SqueakSource/Smalltalkhub
Python	pip			eggs ?			(eg) hg			(eg) bitbucket
JS	npm			npm			(eg) git		(eg) GitHub
GLASS	(Metacello api)		Metacello		Monticello		GitHub/Squeaksource3
Debian	aptitude		dpkg			/			/

All four categories are necessary and serve very different purposes.
Note this list is only examples. Note that there may(and should) be certain overlaps
the farther right you get.

Best
	-Tobias