Let's consider changing how we track issues (was Re: [squeak-dev] Mantis usage rules du jour)

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Sat Feb 23 22:52:39 UTC 2013

On 02/23/2013 10:09 AM, Frank Shearar wrote:
> On 23 Feb 2013, at 15:47, Bert Freudenberg<bert at freudenbergs.de>  wrote:
>> Mantis might appear less dead if reports/changes got posted to squeak-dev. Thoughts?
>
> The reason it doesn't already do this is just that I didn't want to annoy everyone. I think it's a great idea. What granularity ought to apply? Mails on new issues? State changes (to see when something's resolved)?

Actually, there is no easy way to do this with Mantis.  I've just spent
some time looking into it and there is no official support for sending
email to a specific email address every time a new issue is created or
any activity occurs on an issue.  It's not impossible to implement; it
can be done by writing a custom hook.  But this is not an ideal solution
because you have to take care to ensure the custom hooks are reinstalled
every time you update Mantis and on occasion the hook may be broken due
to changes in Mantis.  Also, clearly the community has never been
entirely comfortable with Mantis.

Frankly I think this is a very good time, certainly as good as any, to
reconsider how we track issues.  It's all going to have to be setup
again from scratch soon anyway.

I've personally always felt that that something integrated into Squeak
itself (well, an installable package anyway) is the way for us to go,
something customized to how we are accustomed to working and probably
hooking into Monticello.  But making any such thing will be a lot of
work and someone has to step up to do it and take the risk that the
community will not find the result actually usable/acceptable.

One other choice I think is worth some consideration is to 'out-source'
our bug tracking.  This is not without potential problems.  But I
noticed that Eliot is using code.google.com for Cog and a quick look at
the documentation (and the fact that emails are appearing on vm-dev)
suggests that this one feature, sending notices to a given address for
every issue, is supported by Google Code.

Ken