[squeak-dev] Getting rid of coloured code

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 23:36:33 UTC 2013

Wow, I'm surprised -- the human eye discerns color contrast much more
easily than patterns.  While I don't care for the standard Shout
colors, by changing them to be more intuitive and constrasting,
particularly for longer methods, the colors _really_ enhance the
readability.  For example, I'm able to instantly see references to
instVars with just a glance because they're gold (dark yellow); or
references to self and super because they're bolded, which quickly
tells me whether this is a "utility" method.  Further, by making
comments a light-gray, they are just barely visible, so they're not
cluttering the code, but still easily readable if I decide to focus on
them for a clarification.  Kind of like simply changing eye-focus
"reveals" different aspects of the code -- what a powerful
"gesture"!..

To each, his own.   :)