[squeak-dev] printOnStream:

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Feb 24 23:57:41 UTC 2013

On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 02:12:58PM -0800, Eliot Miranda wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>     is printOnStream: useful?  Anyone know what it was for?  It looks
> wrong to me.  It prints strings rather than objects.  e.g. thisContext
> method printOn: Transcript writes
>         'a CompiledMethod'
> to Transcript, rather than
>         a CompiledMethod
> Further some of the method stamps are 1901.
>
> The Pharo guys have nuked this.  Looks like it might be a good idea.
> --
> best,
> Eliot

These methods are apparently by Marcel Weiher (MPW) and are probably related
to Postscript encoding, see MorphicExtras-Postscript Filters.

None of this (including the Postscript encoding) is used in Squeak now, and
I don't see any usage as far back as Squeak 3.6 either.

Maybe someone can remember what this was used for? Otherwise, I can't see
anything wrong with removing all implementers of #printOnStream: as well as
the entire category "MorphicExtras-Postscript Filters" and the test method
IntegerTest>>testIntegerByteEncoded.

(cc to a possibly valid email address for Marcel)

Dave