[squeak-dev] printOnStream:

Marcel Weiher marcel.weiher at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 17:30:54 UTC 2013

Hi David,

On Feb 25, 2013, at 15:06 , David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 11:25:37AM +0100, Marcel Weiher wrote:
>> On Feb 25, 2013, at 0:57 , David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
>>> [..]
>>> None of this (including the Postscript encoding) is used in Squeak now, and
>>> I don't see any usage as far back as Squeak 3.6 either.

>> Sounds about right.  Has PS/PDF/printed output been removed completely or is there an alternative?
>
> Postscript printing is supported. Any morph can be saved to Postscript or
> EPS file for printing

OK, I was confused for a bit, but as far as I can tell the Postscript support that is in 4.3 is still the one I implemented way back when, which includes the PostscriptEncoder and that's a subclass of ByteEncoder (Via PrintableEncoder).   FlattenEncoder -> ByteEncoder -> PostscriptEncoder -> PostscriptEncoderToDisk, and the Postscript Encoders are used by the Postscript Canvas.     ByteEncoder is in  "MorphicExtras-Postscript Filters", so if you nuke that entire category, you would appear to also nuke Postscript support.

Speaking of which, I remember having to hack quite a bit of nasty code because text was actually not going through the canvas but implemented back in BitBlit, which then forwarded a bitmap to the Canvas.  Has that been fixed?

Cheers,

Marcel