[squeak-dev] Bibi, a Scratch port to recent Squeak

Juan Vuletich (mail lists) juanlists at jvuletich.org
Wed Feb 27 13:26:11 UTC 2013

Quoting Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com>:

>> ?snip?
>> The changes are at
>> https://github.com/jvuletich/Cuis/blob/master/UpdatesSinceLastRelease/1618-FixRecentMorphicSlowDown-JuanVuletich-2013Feb26-22h41m-jmv.1.cs.st
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Juan Vuletich
>
> Ah, I see. Thanks; I hadn't thought to look elsewhere in the repository.
>
> Also, that confirms my suspicion that the way Squeak/Cuis updates work
> is analogous to a database migration: take some big chunk of state,
> and mutate it in these specific ways.

Well, that´s the way the Cuis image is updated. It is the same as the
"update stream" Squeak used to have.

> The problem being that to see what actually changed requires something
> in the state induced by #1618, applying the 1619 changeset, and
> comparing the #1618 state with the #1619 state.

Yes. Not a problem in my view. To me, the best way to understand the
behavior at levels #1618 and #1619 is to run the system updated to
those levels, and use the Smalltalk tools to study it. I.e. I´m a
classical smalltalker.

BTW, for external packages, we store the full code in a format GitHub
can understand, version, diff, merge, etc. See, for example,
https://github.com/bpieber/Cuis-StyledTextEditor/commit/e01cf430657739bfcca197fc9bb1d872e30dd3a2
..

> I don't mean this as a criticism - I'm jut formalising my
> understanding of how we actually work.
>
> frank

Criticism is welcome too. I´d really like to have something better for
the base image, while keeping the nice properties of ChangeSets and
the update stream. Maybe using DeltaStreams instead of ChangeSets
would be an option. We´d need to see how to make GitHub ´understand´
them.

Another option would be to commit, in addition, a condensed Sources
file each time, to let GitHub diff that?

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich