Writing notifications to stdout (was Re: [squeak-dev] Re: New release candidate: 4.4-12324)

Colin Putney colin at wiresong.com
Wed Jan 2 23:23:13 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 5:35 PM, Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com>wrote:

> I think what I'm after is something like Pharo's headless UIManager,
> actually. The ReleaseSqueakTrunk build is hanging right now and
> there's no indication why. If I run the build script locally I can
> remove the -vm-display-null stuff and see the "Cleaning packages"
> progress bar, and so on. If I could hook into _that_, things would
> become a whole lot easier to debug. That, and having a script fail and
> log to stdout instead of bringing up a Debugger.
>
> I think I'll add that to the 4.5 wish list!

I've long wanted to push OmniBrowser's InteractionNotifications into the
base. OB does all user interaction by raising a notification. The UI
process catches the exception, does the interaction, and resumes with some
kind of result. We do this in a few places, but it should be made
comprehensive.

This scheme has two beneficial effects:

- it's possible to intercept interaction requests programmatically for
scripts or headless situations
- it decouples low-level code from the UI, which should help with
modularization and shrinking

Colin