[squeak-dev] Cannot search Projects or Versions on SqueakSource3

Tobias Pape Das.Linux at gmx.de
Fri Jan 4 06:19:05 UTC 2013

Am 03.01.2013 um 22:32 schrieb H. Hirzel:

> Hallo Tobias
>
> Thank you for pointing out that SS3 is RESTful.
>
> Yes maybe.
>
> http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/xmlsupport.html/Overview?_s=8Udu9wSIHNxuiU_m&_k=GkYcadVJYXsxRUx8
>
> for example goes to
>   XMLSupport
>
> I copied the url from Firefox to IE and the same page showed up.
>
> And as it has over 500 members and 600 projects and has been running
> the core functions for storing code are surely not alpha. I assume it
> is labeled like that because for example sorting according to number
> of downloads does not work.

The alpha is a reference that ss3.gemtsone.com it is the first public try-out of
ss3 whatsoever.
  I think I should put the current state of development on a new
(and this time promised to be _not_ kept) instance. Stay tuned.

As pointed out Dale and me have pursuing plans for more than a year to
update the ss3.gemstone.com instance. It should have featured an updated
Banner, saying beta ;)

> Contrariwise to Chris a test  search for a project with 'XML' gave
> results. But it took maybe 40 seconds (just an estimate).

As I said, improvements were already made but not yet deployed.

On https://code.google.com/p/squeaksource3/
we track issues like this, while I reckon that it is hard to
distinguish between  ss3 as a code base and the ss3.gemstone.com
instance :)

> BTW I wonder how the XML support
>
> http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/xmlsupport.html/Overview?_s=8Udu9wSIHNxuiU_m&_k=2fxilRwF4cj8z-TI
>
> relates to what we have in Squeak 4.4 and Pharo 2.0.

I don't know :/

> And the URL this time is different, So I wonder where the RESTful URLs are.

Well, Ok, lets put it like that.
We have copy&paste-ables URLs, and if session storage by cookie is enabled,
even the _s parameter disappears. This is typical for seaside; call it
bug or feature.
  On the other side, http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/xmlsupport/ would be a more
RESTful part of that project, as, given sufficient privileges, you
can GET, PUT or DELETE versions. I even attempted to implement MOVE or sth
like that, but REST has no convention for such things.

> Kind regards

Best
	-Tobias