[squeak-dev] Loading "old" Projects: How?

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Jan 7 11:19:46 UTC 2013

On 07.01.2013, at 02:55, Jim Rosenberg <jr at amanue.com> wrote:

> I have a significant number of projects in a Squeak 3.8 image that represent several years' worth of artistic work. I would like to move them to Squeak 4.3. I gather some kind of conversion process is necessary. When I load a .pr file saved from 3.8, I am getting a message like:
>
> "Reading an instance of ComponentLikeModel. Which modern class should it translate to?"
>
> Could someone point me to a URL that explains the conversion process?
>
> -Thanks in advance, Jim

I'm not sure that has ever been documented ...

You can look at an Etoys image (e.g. a current one from http://squeakland.org/ ) to see what the class did.

In this case, you'll see it's an interim superclass between MorphicModel and e.g. ScrollPane. So in to make your project load you could try to input "MorphicModel" when it asks you for the modern class.

There is actually a conversion mechanism built in to the project loading machinery, but it would have to be told how to convert old classes into new ones. This mechanism was maintained for Squeakland images, but not for Squeak images. So usually you can still load old projects in newer Squeakland releases, but not necessarily in Squeak. But since the mechanism is still there it might just need a bit of updating for many old projects to load.

- Bert -